One of the things we did in the house was demo the attic space, (pictured above prior to demo). At one point, it was finished living space, with small bedrooms and a hall, so we removed the walls and ceiling. We had the demo crew vacuum out the old insulation, which will be replaced with cellulose R50. Then we will be air sealing the attic. Next, we will put down Advantech flooring so that we have all of the storage space available. But, before all of that, a key part of the demo was to have the crew pull up the floors a bit more carefully then just hitting it with a sledge hammer. There were many square feet of wide pine that appears to have been put in the house over many years at different times. So, they pulled it up and stacked it.
Now comes the job of removing the old nails. If you look at the various nails that were used, it creates quite a history timeline. The photo below is, in what we believe, to be chronological order. There were the original nails which were the extreme pointy ones. The square nails are ones that would have been used next and were most likely manufactured by the Tremont Nail Company in Massachusetts, (When the time comes to install the boards, we will be ordering the nails from Tremont to match the rest of the flooring). And lastly, the modern wire nails, which are the ones most people are used to seeing.
We are going to reuse the flooring in the kitchen, mudroom and master bath. The process to make the floor ready again is to, patch the original subfloor, and screw down a layer of Advantech subfloor. When the time comes to lay the floor, (most likely after framing, although we are thinking of laying the floor first, as this is how the rest of the house is), the boards will be cut square, laid as is, then finished in place.
I have grand ideas of using the wood for a sliding barn door from the master bedroom to bathroom, but I’m thinking that will be a later project say after we actually have a usable kitchen, bath and bedrooms.
Stay tuned for more updates…