When we bought our 1770 Colonial, we knew we were immediately going to create new bathrooms. However, we were not planning on doing the kitchen right away because of our renovation budget. However, due to the need for the bathroom plumbing mechanics dropping the ceiling in the kitchen space became a must and would result in the loss of the upper cabinets. Once we got into the project, it just made sense to go ahead with a full remodel and get all the mess over at once. Upon first seeing the house, we planned on knocking down the wall down between the dining room and kitchen, so we just went for it. We enjoy an open floor plan and having the kitchen part of the living space.
Here are pictures of the kitchen before.
This is a view of the wall that was eventually removed. There was a swinging door between the kitchen and dining room. The dining room was beautiful, but as I mentioned, we prefer an open floor plan.
This is the project mid construction. But, you can already see how open the space will be when completed.
Once the wall was down and we were down to studs, it was time to figure out exactly how this was going to go. We kept the sink where it was, just replaced it with the concrete double sink and we kept the dishwasher where it was. By doing this, it kept the plumbing labor costs in the kitchen down.
One of the very big splurges that we made was to get a professional line duel fuel range. Not only that, but we went up to the 48 inch range with the griddle. The sink was 48 inches and in order to balance out the space (or at least that is how I justified it), we decided on the larger Thermador range. The hood is a Proline hood and was purchased online at a discounted cost.
In order to save some money, we opted out of doing upper cabinets and decided on open shelves. When this decision was made, a tile backsplash didn’t seem to fit into the style.
We definitely had a more commercial feel going on, so a galvanized metal wall behind the range and sink seemed to pull the look together. A local company was able to come in, measure and install the wall.
The island was fairly new in the house and was well made, so we kept that. We did replace the countertop which was formica with a birch countertop from Ikea. This wouldn’t have been my first choice, but it looks good and brings a warmth to the kitchen. Then, I painted the island red to have it “pop”. At first, we had it in the same configuration as it was originally (see picture prior to a party we were having), but then we realized more seating was needed. Jesse was able to cut the top and glue it to remaining countertop that was in the barn. I ordered turned legs from online, and Jesse constructed a counter height table. We can now sit 8 around the table when it is pulled away from the island.
The floors in the kitchen were a linoleum which we replaced with the floor boards from the attic which were refinished like those in the bathrooms.
As a reminder of how it looked, here is the dining room prior to renovation. The floors were already wood and finished, so they did not need to be replaced.
Here is the living/kitchen space now, which fits into the family style living we enjoy.
As I mentioned this wasn’t exactly planned but has definitely become the heart of the house in everyway.